To The Right Of Rush

Friday, November 10, 2006

Occupational Hazards

I often wonder about the jobs that some of the people I know do. I know a lot of people in the airline industry, and have seen the abuse that they take. Yet they have the uncanny ability to just smile and take care of you. I've seen passengers just absolutely explode on these people, and they take it. The hardest part for me to comprehend is that they know that if one person is upset, chances are good that the next fifty people are even more angry. It just seems to escalate. And still they smile and move on to the next problem. I know that they have a gift from God that I don't have--patience. I would probably handle the first person with minimal emotion. The second time I would be sweating profusely and biting my tongue. The third irate person would have me coming over the counter with ballbat in hand. Follow that with a lawsuit and a straight jacket. And heaven forbid your airline loses someone's luggage. That brings out the best in everyone. You show me a happy passenger with lost luggage, and I'll show you a disinterrested virgin in a strip bar.
Then there are the people who work in health care. Namely nurses who work in long term care facilities (and/or Old Folk's Homes). These saints have another gift I was passed over for--tolerance. These folks are dealing with people who have depleted faculties, and need constant attention. Wiping my kid's butts when they were young was one thing. Watching these workers wipe an old man's tush is quite another experience. If I get to point where I can't take care of my own basic needs, then just shoot me and put me out of everyone else's misery. Some things I could do just for the sake of a pay check--this is not one of those things. You couldn't print enough money to make me do this. God Bless you folks who do this. You completely redefine the term "Labor of Love".
Auto mechanics are another group I admire. I know just enough about a car to be dangerous. Just ask my mechanic. I can get to spark plugs. After that, I better have someone there who can keep me from destroying a perfectly fine vehicle. I listen to guys talk about the gear ratio in there restored Camaros. Then there are the racing cams that were put in to another guy's Vette. All I can do is stand there, nod my head in approval, and pretend to act like I even have a remote clue to the subject. I know more about the inner workings of sub-atomic particles than I do the proper torgue of the top bolt of the head gasket. Just know that chances are good that these guys lost me at "Let's see what's under the hood".
If you are in any of these occupations, just know that you have my deepest appreciation. Hopefully I'm good at something that you may need and we can enjoy each other's talents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home