To The Right Of Rush

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Circuit Cities

While flying into Dallas today, I got to observe one of the most interesting things I have noticed. When you fly into a large city, look out the window--especially if you get to fly over industrial tracts. Tell me that is doesn't look like a computer chip board. With the buildings and parking areas layed out as they are, it looks just like a computer board. Then when you fly over a neighborhood, it still looks like a circuit board. I can't help but wonder if they weren't patterned in the same way we pattern out neighborhoods. The similarity is scary.
I love to fly-even with my fear of heights. I guess when you are at 30,000 feet, not much matters. If something happens, you really don't have anything to say about it. Not that that is the way I want to go. The fright of knowing you are going to "bite it" on the way down is incomprehensible, but you don't have a choice. It's like saying that it's hot when it is a hundred degrees out side. After ninety degrees, it just doesn't matter any more.
Still, I like the perspective you get when you're cruising at 40,000 feet. You suddenly realize how insignificant you really are when you look at the planet from that altitude. The fact that we can achieve such altitudes with machines that weigh as much as they do is truly a gift from God. I know my fat butt can't stay aloft, so to think that something that weighs as much as a Steiner can fly is truly the Lord. Another profession I admire--Pilots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home